Ways to Give
“Ka hāʻawi a ka mea hale, koe koena ʻole ma kūʻono.”
Giving as a house owner does, with nothing left hidden in the corners.
(Said of a very generous person who gives freely of all he has.)
Excerpt from ʻŌlelo Noʻeau Hawaiian Proverbs & Poetical Sayings by Mary Kawena Pukui
Making a Difference
Hospice of Hilo considers it a privilege to empower families throughout East Hawai‘i to care for their loved ones in one of life’s most tender stages, but our work is only possible because of generous donations from steadfast supporters like you. Your donation, large or small, translates into compassion and care for our Hawai‘i Island ‘ohana. Thank you for your trust in Hospice of Hilo and for giving us the honor of continuing the work that we do.
Ways to Give:
Cash/Check: Cash contributions to Hospice of Hilo are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Checks should be made payable to “Hospice of Hilo” and mailed to our office at 1011 Waiānuenue Avenue, Hilo HI 96720.
- Memorial/Honorary Gifts: When making such a gift in honor or memory of a loved one, please include the name of the person you would like to recognize, and let us know the name and mailing address of the individual you would like us to notify about your gift. Gift amounts are kept confidential.
- Workplace Giving: Hospice of Hilo is a proud beneficiary of the Hawaii Island United Way’s annual campaign. A donation to Hawaii Island United Way through your workplace supports an array of organizations like Hospice of Hilo. You can also designate Hospice of Hilo as your specific charity choice when completing the paperwork.
Stocks/Securities: Gifts of appreciated stock allow donors to bypass capital gains taxes and receive a charitable tax deduction. Gifts of stock will be recorded on the day the stock is received in our brokerage account, at the median market value on that day. You will receive a written acknowledgement to confirm receipt of your gift.
Please notify Hospice of Hilo of your intent to transfer stock by completing the Notification of Stock Transfer Form and email, fax or mail it to: Lisa Kwee, Development and Education Coordinator 1011 Waiānuenue Avenue Hilo, HI 96720 Email: email@example.com Fax: (808) 961-7397 Phone: (808) 969-1733
Please ask your broker or agent to transfer stocks to Hospice of Hilo using the following account:
|Name of Receiving Institution:||
|Receiving Institution Account #:||
Hospice of Hilo
Real Estate: The outright contribution of appreciated real estate, such as a house or condo, vacation home or undeveloped land, can have similar benefits to that of stocks. You can receive a tax deduction for the asset’s full fair market value and avoid capital gains tax. Please contact Hospice of Hilo’s Development and Education Coordinator, Lisa Kwee at (808) 969-1733 to help determine whether we are able to accept your gift.
Your Gift ~ Your Legacy
Designating a portion of your estate to Hospice of Hilo is a meaningful way to create a future legacy that will give on-going help to Hospice patients after your lifetime. A gift made by bequest through your will or revocable living trust allows you to use and control your assets during your lifetime.
Bequest: A bequest is a designation in your will or living trust that provides a gift to Hospice of Hilo upon your passing. It can be set up during your initial estate planning or can be added to your current plans through a simple amendment. You can leave a specific sum of money, piece of property, or a percentage of your estate, or of the remainder of your estate.
Sample language to include in your will:
- General Bequest of a stated sum of money or percentage of your estate:
“I give to Hospice of Hilo, a Hawai‘i nonprofit corporation whose principal office is located at 1011 Waiānuenue Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720, with Federal Tax Identification #99-0218512, or its successor organization, the sum of [insert here the exact dollar amount or percentage].”
- Specific Bequest of a certain asset from your estate:
“I give to Hospice of Hilo, a Hawai‘i nonprofit corporation whose principal office is located at 1011 Waiānuenue Avenue, Hilo, HI 96720, with Federal Tax Identification #99-0218512, or its successor organization, [insert here a description of the particular property].”
- Retirement Plan or Life Insurance Policy: You may designate Hospice of Hilo as the sole beneficiary--or one of the beneficiaries--of a retirement plan, life insurance policy, commercial annuity contract and bank or brokerage account. It is easy to arrange and can be altered if your life circumstances change. This can be a tax-wise way to give, as Hospice of Hilo is exempt from the taxes that might otherwise be owed by your heirs upon inheriting these assets.
The Hospice of Hilo Legacy Society
For a donor to entrust the fruits of his or her life’s work to Hospice of Hilo is a responsibility we take to heart. We ask that you inform Hospice of Hilo of your planned charitable gift so that we may acknowledge your generosity and record your intention. If you would like your plans to remain confidential, we will be happy to honor your wishes. All donors who have notified us of bequest intentions will be welcomed into our Hospice of Hilo Legacy Society so that we may keep you informed of organizational developments and include you in special activities. Please let us know of your planned gift intentions by calling or emailing Lisa Kwee at (808) 969-1733 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Hospice of Hilo Donor Walls
Realized gifts of $1,000 or more qualify to have a koa plaque engraved with a personal message. These plaques are displayed in Hospice of Hilo’s Pōhai Mālama a Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Care Center (See photos here). If you would like to reserve a personalized plaque, please fill out this form and mail, email or fax to:
Lisa Kwee 1011 Waiānuenue Avenue Hilo, HI 96720 Email: email@example.com
Fax: (808) 961-7397. The plaque will be completed when your gift is received. Mahalo!